Planning & Community Development | City of Del Mar
The 5.3 acre Del Mar Shores property, generally located west of Camino del Mar, south of 9th Street, and east of Stratford Court, was purchased by the City of Del Mar in 2008. More than half of the funds to purchase the site, approximately $5.4 million, were raised by donations from the community.
The Shores property, formerly owned by the Del Mar Unified School District (DMUSD), served as the home of the Del Mar Shores School from 1947 to the 1970s. Since then, a portion of the property was leased to a succession of tenants, including the current occupant of a portion of the site, the private Winston School, since 1988.
The Shores property was acquired with the intention of preserving open space and recreational uses, as well as the continued operation of the Winston School. Today, the property, outside of the Winston School lease, is currently used for informal recreation, Little League games, and as an intermittent dog park. No City of Del Mar recreational programming occurs on the site. The former DMUSD buildings are used by two Del Mar non-profit organizations – Del Mar Community Connections and the Del Mar Foundation.
The City has embarked on a master planning process for the property to develop a long-range vision to guide the park’s development. The master plan will be a “blue print” for the future that identifies future facilities, programs, and a plan for implementation.
Public input will be an essential part of developing the park master plan. This part of the process is expected to begin in late fall 2014.
The City Council nominated eight community members to serve on the Shores Advisory Committee. For information on SAC meeting dates and agendas, please visit the Shores Advisory Committee page on this site.