The Shores property along Camino Del Mar on 9th Street is indelibly linked to the history of this community and the North Coast region. It was the site of the original Del Mar train station from the late 1800s through the early 1900s when it was shifted to its present location on Coast Blvd.
The property was acquired in 1906 by the South Coast Land Company led by partners Col. Ed Fletcher, William G. Kerckhoff, Henry Keller, Charles Canfield of Standard Oil of California and Henry Huntington of Pacific Electric Railway. Kerckhoff’s own company eventually took title and conveyed it to the struggling Del Mar School District in 1946 with the deed restriction that the property be used for “school purposes only” with a prohibition against commercial or residential development.
The Del Mar Shores School was built in 1947 and expanded to accommodate children in Del Mar, Del Mar Heights, Sorrento Valley and what is now Carmel Valley. This founding school of the Del Mar Unified School District (DMUSD) was the source of its renowned curriculum enriched with arts and science and for academic achievement supported by active parent involvement. By the early 1970s the student population had outgrown the Shores facility so two new schools were built further inland and the Shores was closed. After a succession of tenants, the property was leased to The Winston School in 1988.